Senin, 13 Oktober 2014

Don’t Get Left Behind--- Keep improving or start losing

I lead out for $6, slightly more than half the pot after the rake was taken. Three players called me. Two of these callers were loose and passive, and the third was an aggressive player who is guaranteed to float the flop and bet the turn if you check to him. This was a perfect setup for me.
Don't Get Left Behind - Chris WallaceThe turn was the Tc and I checked. The first loose/passive player checked, and the aggressive player bet $8. The second loose/passive player called the $8 fairly quickly. This action probably indicates that the first loose/passive player doesn’t have much since he called my flop bet and then checked behind on the turn. It also indicates that the second loose/passive player probably has a draw.
Even the most passive player is not likely to slowplay a big hand on a draw heavy board for two streets. The quick call also usually indicates a draw, so I thought the second L/P was almost certainly on a flush draw without a pair.
The aggressive player has called one bet and then bet small, and I knew this player fairly well. He was aggressive, always looking to pick up pots, but he knew when to shut it down and could fold if he ran into some real pressure and he didn’t have a hand.

I raised to $30. Seems crazy with a pair of sixes doesn’t it? My opponents certainly thought so. Allow me explain.
I knew that the first L/P would fold to a good-sized check-raise, and I thought it was very likely that the aggressive player would fold, too. Facing a bet on the flop, and then a check-raise on the turn, most players will assume they are facing a minimum of top pair with a good kicker, and they will typically fold hands that cannot beat top pair top kicker. If both of those players fold, then I have narrowed the field down to the final L/P who probably does not have a pair.
This is exactly what happened. The first two players folded, the last player called the $30, and the river was a blank, the 2c. I checked, and my opponent considered bluffing with her missed draw, but must have thought better of it. Good choice, because I was definitely going to call a bet if she made one. Why was I calling a bet with a pair of sixes?
If she was on a flush draw, then she cannot have a deuce in her hand because the 2d is on the board. And if her hand was strong enough to bet for value on the river, why wouldn’t she have raised earlier in the hand? With a hand like QJ, she would almost certainly check behind and hope that her top pair would hold up. She can only bet a monster, which makes no sense, or a no-pair hand that cannot win a showdown. Since I don’t believe the monster story, I would have called with my pair of sixes.
But she decided not to bet. After seeing her thinking about it, I knew she didn’t have a pair, and flipped over my 62o right away. She mucked her hand and shook her head, as did the aggressive player who claimed that he mucked top pair when I check-raised him. I believed him.
The one thing I know for sure is that they both thought I was nuts. I think the entire table probably thought I was nuts. They certainly looked at me like they were confused. Since I was wearing a “club pro” hat and I am a well-known member of the pro team at the card room where this hand took place, so they probably expected more “solid” play from me.
The woman who was on the flush draw even asked me how I could make a play like that. I just shrugged and said “I get a little frisky once in a while. I have to or no one will ever call me when I have a hand.”
This seemed to partially satisfy her, though she kept her eye on me for the rest of the session and I’m sure there have been some comments about how the “club pro” is a little crazy. I’m probably just a lucky player.
I was playing poker for a living five years ago, making pretty good money online, and I would never have made this play. I thought I was really good, like I had it all figured out. Much like the players at my table who were confused by the local pro making a play they couldn’t understand, I wasn’t at a high enough level to understand more complex plays.
In order to keep up with the game, you have to keep improving or the game will pass you by and your opponents will be making advanced plays that you don’t understand. Before you know it, you will be one of those players who is shaking their head and wondering how these maniacs get lucky all the time making plays that don’t make any sense.


SOURCE : BLUFF